Recording the vocals, piano and guitar (again) for the first task

Note to self: ALWAYS check the audio files have been saved before leaving the recording studio.

Because three of my audio files for the first task (cover of Amy Winehouse, 'You Know I'm No good') had been lost from the recording studio's computer, i had to re-record the vocals, guitar and piano again in a ten hour session. I changed the recording technique/microphone set up for all three instruments.

For recording the acoustic guitar, this time I used two DPA microphones: one facing the fingerboard, and the other facing the sound hole. The microphones were placed closer to the guitar (compared to the first recording), creating a clear and open sound.


The piano was recorded using two AKG 414s placed in the MS microphone technique, however the top microphone is placed vertically due to experimenting with the sound it captured. This gave a nice sound quality for the high frequencies, however the lower frequencies didn't seem to be as full as in the first piano recording.


For the vocals, I used a Neumann (Cardioid) in its Shockmount. I chose a condenser microphone to produce a more clear and defined recording. I also used a pop shield to prevent clipping and unwanted noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment